Re: changing contrast and brightness on the fly

From: "Simon Williams" <williams.simon@gene.com>
> The job is to display one or more grayscale MRI images (mostly small,
> 256 pixels squared is common) and then to be able to adjust the image
> brightness and contrast interactively, without going to any special
> widgets like sliders. The functionality I have in mind is to
> middle-click the image and then have drag right/left control contrast
> and drag up/down control brightness.
>
> The plan is to replicate functionality that the end users (radiology
> folks) are already familiar with from other image viewers.

Well, if that's what the users demand, then I guess you have to give it to
them. Me, I think sliders would be preferable, because they provide a
readout of the current setting. Don't duplicate the unsatisfactory aspects
of the existing software unless it's really necessary!

Have you noticed what TV remote controls do when you adjust the volume etc
these days? They pop up an on-screen slider! Mind you, I'm not suggesting
you try to code up an on-screen slider in IDL (though I'm sure David would
love to give it ago). Sliders at the bottom of each image would work just
fine.

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

--
Posted from clam.niwa.cri.nz [202.36.29.1]