Re: changing contrast and brightness on the fly

When you see how the end-users operate, having the slider-less control makes
good sense.  The images are not being displayed for quantitation but for
"expert review" by a radiologist who does all the feature recognition, often
rather rapidly.  They want to be able to stare at the image and change the
contrast and brightness without looking away from the image, which is when
slider controls get to be irritating.  So, the existing software is, for its
purpose, very satisfactory indeed.

The only other approach I'd thought of was going back to the (good old?) days
of Evans and Sutherland-type terminal with actual physical dials you could
turn while looking at the screen - very nice for independent x/y/z rotation
of 3D stuff.  But we don't want to turn this into a hardware problem ...

Cheers,

Simon