Disappearing IDL panel with XFree86 Version 4.

After I switched to XFree86 Version 4 on my LInux
system, the content of IDL's X device dissappears
if it is behind any other objects only once.

Following the help from a local distributor of
IDL, I inserted

"window, Retain=2"

on top of all my *.pro files.  This solved the problem
of disappearing X.  However, there are many other
aspects which I do not like.  For example, I cannot
switch to PS device without exiting IDL, in fact.

Is there any better solution?  First of all, I don't
understand why XFree86 behaves differently from
XFree86-3.3.6.

Thanks.

G. Hugh Song