searching for available license

Does anyone have a script for searching for an available floating
license?
We have floating licenses distrubuted over many systems (one license for
each
person).  Once in a while,  someone will need to use a second license.
My current method of finding one is to simply change the
"LM_LICENSE_FILE"
environment variable to an alternate system/license and start IDL.  I
can repeat this
procedure until I find a free license.  There must be a quicker way, but
I don't know of
any way to poll a license server to see if a license is available.

Karl H.
-