Re: svd experts?

Not an SVD expert, but a while back I came across the following info
when using SVD as an alternative to normal-equations solution of an
overdetermined system:

It is wise to scale A to have equal _column lengths_, particularly if
the columns of A have very different numerical magnitudes (as might be
obtained if A represented an instrument response kernel for inverting
observations or fitting a model).  Thus, the SVD would be performed on
Z, where:

Z = A S^-1

and S is a diagonal matrix consisting of the roots of the diagonal
elements of A*A (A-transpose A).

I can't recall what the motivation for this was; numerical stability or
some issue unique to SVD use in overdetermined systems.

I *believe* the reference for this is:

Belsley, Kuh and Welch (1980): Regression Diagnostics, Identifying
Influential Data and Sources of Collinearity, John Wiley & Sons, 292 pp.
(SVD played of course a big part in their treatment of inversion of
ill-conditioned matrices).

If not, it may be:

Draper and Smith (1981): Applied Regression Analysis.  John Wiley &
Sons, 407 pp.

Sorry for the ambiguity, it's been ~6 years since I had to deal with
this and can't recall the exact reference...

- Dennis Boccippio, NASA/MSFC SD-60