Re: HDF, netCDF, etc question

I suggest the use of an SQL database :-)  (If you use postgresql I have a
set of DLM wrappers that allow you to query directly from IDL to the
database back-end).  I know there are a couple of astronomy groups using
SQL for astronomy images and I use them all the time for storing huge
datasets of atmospheric spectra and ancillary parameters.  If you only
have a few dozen images and a few parameters then HDF and netCDF would
both work but if you start having lots of data to work with, then these
files get cumbersome and quickly become difficult to manage.
Nevertheless, they are very nice if you need to distribute data...

Cheers,
Randall