Re: HDF, netCDF, etc question

Craig Markwardt <craigmnet@cow.physics.wisc.edu> wrote:

: ronn kling <ronn@rlkling.com> writes:

: * I advocated astronomy's FITS format.  Plus: platform independent,
:   metadata is in ASCII, good support in IDL Astronomy Library.  Minus:
:   seen as "archane."

I agree.  Its very simple, very "sharable".

: * Many people seem to swear by Liam Gumley's binary tools.  Plus: raw
:   speed and direct access; platform neutral. Minus: low level.

I dunno about this.  But before I advocated a simple, binary format
tied to a database for metadata.  These could be a help here.

--
Aaron Birenboim
Albuquerque, NM