Re: IDL and Beowolf ?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:08:32 GMT, dmarshall@ivory.trentu.ca
<dmarshall@ivory.trentu.ca> wrote:
>I just finished reading The Do-It-Yourself Supercomputer by William W.
>Hargrove, Forrest M. Hoffman and Thomas Sterling in this months Scientific
>American
>http://www.sciam.com/2001/0801issue/0801hargrove.html
>And wondered if anyone had any thoughts/experience with running IDL
>applications on such a cluster.
>
>Dave.

I inquired about this with RSI few years ago: the answer I got was that since
IDL is an interpretive language, it could not be parallelized. As I'm sure
you've learned by your reading, the key to using distributed computing is that
your job must be cast in such a way that it can be parallelized. I'm not guru,
but that is what I was told by RSI, FYI!
--
Steve S.

steve@NOSPAMmailaps.org
remove NOSPAM before replying