Re: base widgets growing uncontrollably.... ?

Paul van Delst wrote:
> I'm seeing a weird effect with an IDL widget app I put together and I'm hoping someone
> here might recognise the symptoms and inform me of some widget_base keyword I have
> forgotten.
>
> I create a base within which I create several compound widgets (that I wrote) each, of
> course, within it's own base. Currently I have three compund widgets in the base (all of
> which contains exclusive button bases); two with column=1 and the third with grid_layout=1
> and column=3. Now, when I add more buttons to the third compound widget (currently I have
> three columns of five buttons), the size of the other compound widgets grow! It's at the
> point now where half of the space in the widget display is just empty, dead space. If I
> remove items from the third compund widget (which is always of a size such there is no
> empty space) the dead space in the other two shrinks.
>
> Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it? I would rather not have to use
> XSIZE/YSIZE/etc keywords.>

As I understood you modify an already realized widget.
I had similar experience, even without grid layout bases some time ago.
What helped me was using:

widget_control,tlb,UPDATE=0 (1)

before (after) the modification.
Thisway the sizes were correct and the speed the changes were
carried out was drastically higher.

Hope that helps,
marc