Re: bug in IDL's hanning() window-generating function

bennetsc@NOSPAMucs.orst.edu wrote:
> Jaco van Gorkom  <j.c.van.gorkom@fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> >function Harris, n, _EXTRA=extra
> >   return, (hanning(n+1, _EXTRA=extra))[0:n-1]
> >end
> >
>      That looks like it should work for Hann, Hamming, and other
> raised cosine windows.  I am not prepared to vouch for that method
> for all windows.

Well, I inherited *some* of the functionality from the built-in
HANNING() function. Therefore this is not very likely to produce other
types of windows, symmetric or not.

>      So a Hann window, and other windows I've seen so far, should not
> include a repetition of its first coefficient as the last coefficient.

Thanks to all for the explanations and examples. I am now definitely a
convert to 5.5-style hanning windows. Even though I will certainly never
encounter an 80 dB signal-to-noise ratio...

  Jaco