Re: Version Control

Craig Markwardt wrote:

> Paul van Delst <paul.vandelst@noaa.gov> writes:
>
> > "Dr. Otto Jusko" wrote:
> > >
> > > under HP-UX we frequently used a product named "SoftBench" which
> > > provided us with version control and the mandatory file locking. Is such
> > > a product available for IDL ? Or in general: Would you like to have it
> > > inside IDL ?
> >
> > I use CVS (Concurrent Versions System) for everything: IDL source
> > code, Fortran source, shell source code, etc....
>
> I second this.  I also use CVS to keep multiple copies on different
> machines synchronized (ie, server, desktop machine, laptop).

I third.

CVS is THE DE-FACTO standard.  It is used by ALL significant
open source software efforts.

The ONLY version control I would accept in IDL would
be hooks in IDLDE to work with CVS.

In my opinion, it is a MS conspiracy that products like
VC++ and Borland have hooks to commercial software
like Perforce and MS version control, but not CVS.   Then again.... by
the time
of this writing they ARE supporting CVS...  I dunno.

--
Aaron Birenboim | Black holes are where G-d divided
Albuquerque, NM |      by zero.