Re: Superscripts in IDL [x-y]title

hjpsmith@bigfoot.com (Henry J. P. Smith) writes:

> Hello,
>
> Just did (tried to do) a search on dejanews to see if I could find
> this there and got not hits. So here goes.
>
> My co-author on a paper would like to see superscripts in the axis
> titles of simple 2-d plots, e.g. instead of something like cm**-3 ot
> have cm^{-3} - using TeX notation.
>
> I am using PS fonts so I think there must be a way to do this. Is
> there any way to get IDL to do it directly? I suppose I could do it in
> POSTSCRIPT but I don't really know PS and don't have time to learn it
> right now. At least I think I don't - perhaps the same thing? <G>

Other kind users have posted the standard IDL embedded font control
technique.  I never figured that out, probably because I discovered
the "Tex to IDL" translator first, which converts a Tex-like string
into the equivalent IDL embedded sequence.  It works great for making
subscripts and superscripts, and Greek letters.

This may be just what you are looking for.  Download it here:

ftp://coma.berkeley.edu/pub/mcraig/idl/TeXtoIDL/

(Snipped from the README...)
PURPOSE:
   The purpose of the TeXtoIDL routines is to make it simple to use Greek
letters, subscripts and superscripts in making labels for plots in
IDL.  This is accomplished by allowing the user to use TeX control
sequences for Greek letters and special symbols and for
sub/superscripts.  The TeX control sequences are simple and easy to
remember, especially if you already use TeX for writing papers (for
those unfamiliar with TeX, an explanation of that notation is below).
The translation is done for either vector or PostScript fonts.

Best wishes, Craig

Craig B. Markwardt, Ph.D.         EMAIL: craigmnet@astrog.physics.wisc.edu