Re: X window display sizes

David Fanning wrote:

> Liam Gumley (Liam.Gumley@ssec.wisc.edu) writes:
>
> > I don't know of any way to do this using IDL commands. The only
> > information you can return about a widget on a remote display seems to
> > be the geometry of the widget itself, e.g.
>
> I don't know. I think the realize-the-upmapped-
> draw-widget method used in GET_SCREEN_SIZE should
> work everywhere. There is even a keyword that will
> enquire of a remote display, I think.
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
> --
> David Fanning, Ph.D.
> Fanning Software Consulting

It doesn't work on our systems. It just returns the display size of the
default display regardless of what you pass to the DISPLAY_NAME argument
or keyword.

After looking at the code further, it seems there is a bug in
get_screen_size.pro
in both IDL 5.1 and 5.2. The function specifies the DISPLAY_NAME keyword
on
the WIDGET_DRAW function rather than the WIDGET_BASE function.

If I issue the commands manually and and put the DISPLAY_NAME keyword on
the WIDGET_BASE function it works as expected. I guess I'll be editing
the .pro
files.

Now, I wonder if doing this sets the X visual to the default?

--
Nigel Wade