Re: IDL FFT vs C benchmark?

Myron Brown wrote:

> Hi.  Has anybody done any benchmarking of IDL's
> FFT routines?  They seem pretty fast, actually.  I'm
> wondering how they compare to efficient C code.
> Perhaps someone has looked at fftpack or other
> efficient implementations of the FFT in C and compared
> them?

Check out
http://airs2.ssec.wisc.edu/~paulv/fft/fft_comparison.html

You might need to run the benchmarks on your platform. As I recall, IDL
performed comparably to the FORTRAN version from Numerical Recipes.

If you have the energy, I'd be interested to see a comparison of IDL and
FFTW
http://www.fftw.org/

Cheers,
Liam.