Re: Object graphics and real postscript

In article <MPG.1349819a77d14acc989aac@news.frii.com>,
davidf@dfanning.com (David Fanning) wrote:
> The way I do it (on Windows NT) is like this:
>
> printer = Obj_New('IDLgrPrinter')
> ok = Dialog_PrinterSetup(printer)

I don't use object graphics (yet).  Is there no analog
in object graphics to the direct graphics instructions
such as:

  SET_PLOT, 'PS'
  DEVICE, XSize=4.75, YSize=2.95, /Inches, /ENCAPSULATED, $
    File=foo.eps
  !P.FONT=0

> It is *not*, however, encapsulated PostScript.

You can tweak the drivers so that it is.

> My Windows NT Ghostview, however, has the ability to convert
> a PostScript file to an encapsulated PostScript file.

Only if your PS file contains no page breaks.

> I presume
> this is also available in the UNIX version of Ghostscript.

Yes.  It can also be done by hand in your favorite editor:

e.g., first three lines of an EPS file produced by IDL

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 342 212
%%Title: Graphics produced by IDL

Note that the first line says EPS and the BB is included.

If if if if if if IF there are no pagebreaks, one can convert
PS to EPS by hand.  But it is kind of a kludge, so I only do
it in emergencies.

Andrew
noymer@my-deja.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/