attempt to save memory

Suppose I have a procedure that creates a large string array
(for example, [150,60000] elements).
The next step in that procedure is to make another array that is a
subset of the afore mentioned array.  To do this, I pass the large array
into another procedure as a parameter, the procedure creates the second
array and passes the resulting array back up to the calling procedure.

My concern is this.  I believe a child procedure makes a copy of the
parameters passed to it from the parent.  If that is true, I now have
two copies of the original array in memory, and at the end of the child
procedure, I have the resulting array as well.

I will need both the original array and the resulting "sub" array in
subsequent processing.  Any suggestions?

Thank you once again in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.