Re: Expanding IDL's list of approved image formats

Hello,

I think David's hidden suggestion is,  'you better write it yourself'.

Your question does raise an important issue.  It  seems like a common issue,
too.  There are ten gazillion 'standard' formats for data as produced by
different companies.  Your example, ACR/NEMA, is just one.   I have been
wrestling with IPLAB image formats (an complex of binary header, binary data,
and PICT vector overlays)  and the NOAA raster charts (ASCII header and
run-length compressed binary data.), neither of which have I fully figured
out.   More recently, I have been working on code to read the output logs
from SEABIRD CTD instruments.  David has a recent example of reading 12bit
images stored in a 16bit format or some such thing.   While these images may
be 'standards' for the commercial outfit that produces them, they are
certainly not universal, like TIFF, JPEG, ...

It is a shame there isn't a public repository of IDL code to read/write these
obscure but 'standard' formats.

Good luck!

Ben

--