Re: Impressions on IDL for Macintosh?

In article <8jp2td$pi5$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, reardonb@my-deja.com wrote:

> Bernard,
> what sort of bugs? please specify. I've noticed that some widgets do not
> appear as nicely on the mac as on the PC.  The widget_table comes to
> mind. However, there are a lot of keyword settings for the widget_table
> so perhaps I am not setting something right. I (and the rest of the
> group) would be interested to here what problems you have run into.
> -Brian
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1) Impossibility to directly print in landscape mode.

2) Bug in import ascii macro: last fied missing in last step of
importing.

3) When producing mpeg files with large image sizes, IDL memory
allocation memory grows (say from 24Mb to 40Mb or more depending on size
of images) and that memory is not returned when mpeg sequence is closed.
(On the Mac I've never seen an application eat up more memory than what
was allocated at launch time.)

minor bugs:

4) Variable watch doesn't display anything if it was not left open the
last time IDL was quit (it can be activated by defining a variable with
the prompt line when the window is already active)

5) When importing ascii variables with ascii_template, the window that
appears is positioned completely off-screen and to shrinks at every
click of the mouse.

6) The button to move up in the directory hierachy in the import image
macro is inactive. (can be activated by first chosing a subdirectory).

Since all these bugs are present in rather basic functions, I am a bit
concerned about the overall quality of the Macintosh port of IDL.

Bernard