External IDL & ENVI

I would like to use IDL with ENVI as a visualization server. It means that I
would like to ask IDL to visualize an image under the ENVI environment from
a C application.
We tried IDLRPC but, as soon as we have sent the 'ENVI' command (to IDLRPC),
we cannot send other command. I think it is due to the ENVI mainloop.
We also tried with CALLABLE_IDL but we have nearly the same problem.

Does someone knows how to launch an IDL command (IDL currently running ENVI)
from a C application without loosing the control of the C application ?

Thanks.