Re: Font Encoding Problem

"Martin Schultz" <martin.schultz@dkrz.de> wrote in message
news:39A0EC0F.9DC96480@dkrz.de...
> Mark Hadfield wrote:
> >
> > Having made sure you have the right font selected and that formatting
> > commands are enabled, etc, represent the percent sign with !Z(2030).
> >
> ... but doesn't seem to work for Linux

>    xyouts,0.5,0.5,'!Z(2030)',/NORM
> only put out a zero.

Well, to make it work you must ensure that an appropriate
Unicode-supporting, Truetype font is selected. I don't think the fonts
bundled with IDL (Helvetica, etc) support Unicode. This page...

http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/fonts.html

...lists various Unicode fonts. Quite a few of the fonts bundled with recent
versions of Windows (Arial, Times New Roman, etc) support a subset of the
full Unicode glyph set called WGL4. To use them with IDL I *think* you just
need to get a copy of the font file and put it in the right place. There are
a couple of links on the above page that deals with Linux, Unix and X11
issues--I do not know what relevance they have to IDL on Linux/Unix.

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield/
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research
PO Box 14-901, Wellington, New Zealand