Re: Standalone executables (was Origin of IDL)

Hi Folks,

I wrote the other day:

> Uh, huh. And from what I hear, the Unlimited
> Right to Distribute license is only $50K per
> *version* of IDL.
>
> So, let's see, we'll forget about those cheapskates
> still using IDL 4. They can't be doing serious
> scientific work anyway. So 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, and
> I probably want to really get rich with 5.4. So for
> only a quarter million dollars I can be distributing
> my IDL application world-wide.
>
> Or did I miss something? :-)

I'm commiserating with JD again about the lack
of a proper way to convey irony and sarcasm on
newsgroups. It's a problem. ;-^)

But just so you know, although the figure I quoted
was given to me by an RSI account representative, it
was at least six months old, and hence must be
considered wildly inaccurate. I urge you to
contact your own RSI account representative for
accurate figures.

It has been brought to my attention that each
application and distribution method is slightly
different, and the total cost can be arrived at
only after careful consideration of all the variables.
For most applications, apparently, it wouldn't cost
anything like a quarter million dollars to distribute.

P.S. Let's just say I didn't have my business plan worked
out well enough to be able to get an accurate quote for
my potential application. But I'll be working on it. ;-^)