Re: BINARY FILES

David Fanning wrote:

> mohamed nur (mohamed_nur@my-deja.com) writes:
>
> > I've been dealing with binary files and every case i had to know before
> > hand the dimensions of the array to setup an IDL variable of the said
> > dimesions and read the unformatted data into.
> >
> > But is it possible or is there a method (in IDL 5.2/5.3) to read it in
> > with no knowledge of the dimensions of the array.
>
> A free Second Edition IDL Programming Techniques book
> to the first person who can find the simple word I
> embedded in this binary sequence:
>
> 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1
> 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0
> 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0
> 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1
> 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0

Hmm... all ascii letters at any offset:

0:hH
1:Ja
2:XF
3:
4:Qa
5:ddvid
6:El
7:

Offset 5 looks promising.  Do we get extra points for detecting typoes?
Does the german Ja or spanish El count?

JD

--
 J.D. Smith                  |   WORK: (607) 255-6263
 Cornell Dept. of Astronomy  |         (607) 255-5842