Re: Slow Time Test in IDL 5.4

davidf@dfanning.com (David Fanning) wrote:

>Before JD goes crazy trying to analyze slow Time_Test2
>values for IDL 5.4, let me alert you that a change to
>the IDL library routine FACTORIAL has made that routine
>*significantly* slower. So much so, that Time_Test2 runs
>about 10 times slower on PCs running IDL 5.4 than it does
>running earlier versions. :-(

But that doesn't seem to be the case on Alphas.

Because I don't want to publish a huge list of numbers:

Total time for time_test2

IDL 5.4 with 5.4 version of factorial:       4.700
IDL 5.4 with 5.3 version of factorial:       4.698
IDL 5.3:                                     5.594

A nice little speedup for 5.4 regardless of the version of factorial used.

Todd