Re: IDL 5.4. Neato. NOT.

Posting from home so as to forego the possibility that _our_ ODIN vendor
will lose my post.  In partial response to Joseph's issue (4) below:

Q: Will 5.4's non-support of LZW (specifically, WRITE_GIF) balk at _any_
routine named 'WRITE_GIF'?  It strikes me that we, in theory, should be
able to replace the built-in WRITE_GIF with our own code which, e.g.,
calls WRITE_PNG, and then spawns a Unix process which converts the PNG
to GIF using 3rd party tools, or an Applescript that calls
GraphicConverter to do the same (I'm pretty sure GC is scriptable).
Sorry, Windows folks, no idea how this would be done on that platform...

Anyway, if this were possible, it'd be a one-time fix (for the write
routines at least, although presumably the same could be done for
reading) rather than a huge amount of code retooling...

- Dennis Boccippio

( PS - can confirm that Mac GC is scriptable... I note the following
entry in its AppleScript Dictionary:

save reference [in alias] as [list of types, including GIF] makeCopy
boolean

On Un*x, the 'convert' command comes along with a package that I've
forgotten - ImageMagick, or libppm, or something...)