Re: IDL 5.4. Neato. NOT.

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 07:01:33 -0500,
Dennis J. Boccippio <djboccip@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Posting from home so as to forego the possibility that _our_ ODIN vendor
>will lose my post.  In partial response to Joseph's issue (4) below:
>
>Q: Will 5.4's non-support of LZW (specifically, WRITE_GIF) balk at _any_
>routine named 'WRITE_GIF'?

>On Un*x, the 'convert' command comes along with a package that I've
>forgotten - ImageMagick, or libppm, or something...)

Yes, ImageMagick.

pro write_gif,filename,image,_extra=e
  write_bmp,'./temp.bmp',image,_extra=e
  spawn,'convert temp.bmp '+filename
  spawn,'rm temp.bmp'
end

is a quick and dirty fix for me. Of course what's needed is a routine which
will identify one's system, hunt down a suitable conversion routine, and
use that.

--
Colin Rosenthal
Astrophysics Institute