Re: IDL 5.4 Stability

davidf@dfanning.com (David Fanning) wrote:

>Has anyone had any problems with IDL 5.4 stability? I've
>managed to completely crash it three times in the past
>couple of weeks. It's odd, because I don't recall
>IDL 5.3.1 *ever* crashing on my Windows NT machine in
>all the times I've used it.

Actually, we had the opposite problem...we found 5.3 to be not entirely
stable. We have a multi-user license on our Alpha server, and oddly
enough, if you tried  to do anything where IDL has to pop up a window
while you were sitting at the actual computer, it crashed 100% of the
time. Using it via XWindows on other computers worked just fine. We
haven't had a single crash with 5.4 that I know of. Of course, like you
said, it could just be a Windows problem.

Todd