Segmentation fault with CDF routines under Linux

Using both 5.3, and 5.4, I consistently have problems with seg-faults
when trying to run various CDF routines under Linux.  I'm fairly new to
using IDL to read CDFs, but I'm not trying to do anything strange.  In
fact, I can't even get cdf_open to work.

Specifically, I have a problem when my argument to cdf_open is a string
provided by the findfile routine.  If I type in my own string,
everything works great, but if it comes from findfile, I get a
seg-fault.  The exerpt below is copied exactly from my session, an
should give a very clear idea of what is happening...

  IDL Version 5.4 (linux x86). (c) 2000, Research Systems, Inc.
  Installation number: 100.
  Licensed for use by: moiraine

  IDL> year_beg='2000'
  IDL> month_beg='08'
  IDL> day_beg='01'
  IDL> help
  % At  $MAIN$
  DAY_BEG         STRING    = '01'
  MONTH_BEG       STRING    = '08'
  YEAR_BEG        STRING    = '2000'
  Compiled Procedures:
      $MAIN$

  Compiled Functions:

  IDL> file=findfile('ac_*_swe_'+year_beg+month_beg+day_beg+'*.cdf')
  IDL> print,file
  ac_k0_swe_20000801_v01.cdf
  IDL> id=cdf_open(file)
  % Loaded DLM: CDF.
  Segmentation fault

  [jrigler@moiraine] [15:55:03]
  1016 <~/research/LPF/data/cdf/ace/swe/2000> idl
  IDL Version 5.4 (linux x86). (c) 2000, Research Systems, Inc.
  Installation number: 100.
  Licensed for use by: moiraine

  IDL> file='ac_k0_swe_20000801_v01.cdf'
  IDL> id=cdf_open(file)
  % Loaded DLM: CDF.

Can anyone else recreate this on Linux, or with versions other than 5.3
and 5.4?  I tried this with several different cdf files, so I don't
think it is a problem with the file format.  Any other ideas?

-Josh

P.S. While I'd love to move to HDF, that is not an option, so it might
be wisest not to make that suggestion.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.