Re: Julian Day Numbers

Hi Ben--

You need to be careful with your notations.  Jan 1, 1900, 12noon, is
different from Jan 0, 1900, 12noon.  In fact, Jan 0 is the same as Dec
31 of the previous year, since we normal humans start our
day-numbering system with 1.  So in fact the IDL JULDAY function is
operating correctly.

There are a lot of astronomy-related julian date calculators which can
be found on the U of W search page.  You might trust these a little
more than RSI's since they are used by real scientists :-) I have my
own which I can send along if desired.  However they all will still
give 2415021 for the example you reported.

Good luck,
Craig