Re: Julian Day Numbers

Craig Markwardt wrote:

> Hi Ben--
>
> You need to be careful with your notations.  Jan 1, 1900, 12noon, is
> different from Jan 0, 1900, 12noon.  In fact, Jan 0 is the same as Dec
> 31 of the previous year, since we normal humans start our
> day-numbering system with 1.  So in fact the IDL JULDAY function is
> operating correctly.
>
> There are a lot of astronomy-related julian date calculators which can
> be found on the U of W search page.  You might trust these a little
> more than RSI's since they are used by real scientists :-) I have my
> own which I can send along if desired.  However they all will still
> give 2415021 for the example you reported.

I see no reason to malign the IDL version of julday.  This is a pretty
simple calculation.  Perhaps we should concentrate our frustrations on
meatier IDL shortcomings.  We could burn a z-buffer in effigy.

JD

--
 J.D. Smith                  |   WORK: (607) 255-6263
 Cornell Dept. of Astronomy  |         (607) 255-5842