Re: histogram crashes (example code)

"R.G.S." <rgs1967@hotmail.com> writes:

> Here is a main level code that does crash IDL 5.3.1 on WinNT4 SP5
> So if anyone cares to see if it runs on other platforms, please
> let me know how it works out.

Crashes here, too:

IDL> print,!version
{ sparc sunos unix 5.3 Nov 11 1999}

(Or rather, it crashes when you try to do anything *after* executing
that histogram call).

By the way, talking to Bill Thompson I just learned that it's now
possible to say:

IDL> a=fltarr(1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2)
IDL> help,a[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]

which used to give some kind of syntax error in previous IDL versions
(4.x, at least) whereas it would work with 7 subscripts, but not 8.
However, look at this:

 IDL> help,[0,0]
 <Expression>    INT       = Array[2]
 IDL> help,[[0],[0]]
 <Expression>    INT       = Array[1, 2]
 IDL> help,[[[0]],[[0]]]
 <Expression>    INT       = Array[1, 1, 2]

                      ^
 % Only eight levels of variable concatenation are allowed.

Obviously, they forgot to fix all aspects of the parser...

Stein Vidar Hagfors Haugan
ESA SOHO SOC/European Space Agency Science Operations Coordinator for SOHO

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center,      Email: shaugan@esa.nascom.nasa.gov
Mail Code 682.3, Bld. 26,  Room G-1,   Tel.:  1-301-286-9028/240-354-6066
Greenbelt, Maryland 20771, USA.	       Fax:   1-301-286-0264