How to display image on X root window?

Hi Folks,

    Is there a straightfoward way to get IDL to display an image on the
root window of an X display?
I have something in mind along the lines of xloadimage -onroot

    Alternatively, is there a way to open an IDL window with no borders
or title bar?

    Finally, is there a way to open an IDL window on an alternate
display?  Again, I have something
in mind along the lines of xloadimage -onroot -display :0.1 .

    Thanks in advance,

        David

P.S. My problem getting IDL 5.3/5.4 to work under Mandrake Linux 7.2
isn't solved yet.
RSI suggested switching to RedHat 7.0, but I'm looking for a better
solution.

David G. Grier               Dept of Physics, James Franck Institute, and
(773) 702-9176 (voice)                 Institute for Biophysical Dynamics
(773) 702-5863 (FAX)                            The University of Chicago
d-grier@uchicago.edu                                    5640 S. Ellis Ave
http://griergroup.uchicago.edu/~grier/                  Chicago, IL 60637