Robert Mallozzi

Dear IDLers,

     This posting is off-topic, but as Bob Mallozzi was a frequent
poster here, I thought I should mention something for those of you that
knew of him. All others can certainly skip this.

     It is with great regret and a heavy heart that I inform you that my
friend and colleague Robert Mallozzi died last week in his home in
Huntsville, Alabama. He was 35. Those of you that have seen his work, or
read his comments here, know that he was a gifted programmer, one that
truly loved his work. His postings here only hinted at his wonderful
good nature. Unlike myself, he was right in there with the rest when a
tricky question came up. He taught me object-oriented programming in the
best way possible: producing good, solid examples in the WINGSPAN
project code he produced for our group at the University of Alabama in
Huntsville. I have had the pleasure of working directly with him for at
least 5 years, and have nothing but respect for the many things he
accomplished while he was here. You may know from his web page that he
was a PhD scientist working in the field of gamma-ray astronomy, but you
might not know that the journal article that formed the core of his
thesis is still being cited heavily, five years after its publication.
Recently, he had been working on a second degree, in CS, and had moved
away from IDL programming, after he was hired away from our group.
Still, he could always be counted to join in on our non-periodic beer
tastings, bringing a few select brews along for us to sample. So when
you get the chance, hoist one for Bob.

     He will be missed.

    - Rob Preece
      Senior Research Associate