Re: IDLWAVE 4.6

Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl> writes:

> Subject:  IDLWAVE 4.6
>
> Hello IDLWAVE/Emacs users,
>
> I have uploaded version 4.6 of IDLWAVE.  You can get it as usually at
>
> http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~dominik/Tools/idlwave

Hi Carsten (and JD?)--

I really appreciate what you're doing here.  I'm actually kicking
myself because I downloaded 4.5 over the weekend.  Doh.

I have to admit though that I'm a bit baffled by all the options in
these newer versions.  I can figure out the Routine Info things, and
eventually I will get my preferences plugged in there (finally I know
how to indent my main levels to 2 characters)!

However I can't get a handle on this debugging stuff, and that's the
thing I want the most!  I am the first to admit that debugging under
IDL is really not very satisfactory (even with my own DXDEBUG, which I
use sporadically).  In IDLWAVE I tried to set breakpoints, but they
don't seem to take effect.  Is it because I type ".RUN myscript.pro"
by hand in the shell?

I'm not big on three-key control sequences, so it doesn't come
naturally to me to do C-c C-d C-b.  I will remember if I need to
though.  Under Microsoft debuggers it used to be easy to "mouse" a
breakpoint, and the program would run to that point immediately.  I
think GDB has something similar.  Can I do that with IDLWAVE?

So my question is, to JD or Carsten: If there were *two* or *three*
top things to remember about IDLWAVE's shell interaction, including
debugging, what would they be?  And are there caveats to remember?

Thanks, and sorry for being an idiot,
Craig