Re: Newbie needs help...

David Fanning wrote:

> Bruce Bowler (bbowler@bigelow.org) writes:
>
> > I'm willing to try this "thinking outside the box" thing for a while,
> > but I can't see the box.
>
> There is no box. (But see more on spiritual development, below.)

Then what did I trip over last night on my way to the

Fortunately, I think I landed on the outside, and I didn't hurt
myself...

As I hit the ground, I realized that displaying the data and extracting
the data value at some lat/lon are 2 entirely different processes.  I
can use Liam's image_map to display it and came up with clever (but as
yet untested) way to extract the data.

Given a target lat/lon and BHAlat and BHAlon, how about (in pseudo-code)

	possiblelats = where(BHAlat eq lat{+/- some epsilon})
	possiblelons = where(BHAlon eq lon{+/- some epsilon})
	possiblevalues = intersection(possiblelats,possiblelons)

	if number of possiblevalues is between 1 and 10, printout the data
		otherwise adjust epsilon either up or down and try again.

Does that sound like it ought to work (and in some time less than a
glacial epoch) ?

Bruce