Re: axis and titles

"R.Bauer" <r.bauer@fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> How did I define the X axis title a bit lower as default.
> The Y axis title has more space between the numbers as the X Title.

Like David said, it's one of those things that is difficult to do. I
actually ended up writing my own routine to put together plots so I
could have that spacing be correct, change font sizes of the axes and
titles separately with just keywords, etc. It's actually not all that
difficult to do. I'd post my code but it's really specialized for the
kind of plots we make in our lab (not to mention poorly documented! =),
and not likely to be of general use.

As with most things dealing with the difference between what you see on
screen and what you see on printed output, there is some futzing (how
does one spell that?) involved in getting the output to look correct.

Essentially what you want to do is write a routine that calls plot
without the axis titles, and then use xyouts to manually place the axis
title given the positioning of the plot on the page. My guess is there
is some code out there to do this sort of thing already in one of the
many IDL libraries.

Todd