Re: Object rendering with dynamic views

Thanks Mark and David,

Mark Hadfield wrote:

No, but if you would like to compare them and report back to the group, that
would be much appreciated :-)

I can only offer my $0.02 worth:

I think this area deserves a careful examination. (Thanks for volunteering
Ben.) I suspect you will find that performance is important, but that the
ranking of the different methods will vary widely depending on OS, graphics
hardware, IDL settings and day of the week.

I don't know the exchange rate but you $0.02 is always worth the money.  Volunteer?  I should have kept my trap shut.

My urge is to abandon the object graphics in this case and use direct graphics.  I have bumped into this question because I am converting a direct graphics routine that I wrote a long time ago (it is very fast) to object graphics.  Now it is mostly complete, but the interactive business is getting to be a bit of an event-processing-rendering bottle neck.

My only redeeming quality is that I tend to perceive
failure as good information. :-)

David, Have you ever read the wonderful Emily Dickinson poem about the sweetness of success to those who rarely experience it?  If not, I'll dig it out and send it to you.

Thanks again,

Ben

--
Ben Tupper