Re: How to redirect stdout & stderr from a Windows app?

Dave Greenwood wrote:

> I have a windows app (NT 4, IDL 5.3) that apparently screws up occasionally.
> That is, it doesn't respond to certain buttons, sliders, etc.  Of course it
> hasn't failed any of the times I've tried it in the IDE.  Is there any way
> to redirect stdout and stderr so I can capture IDL messages, PRINT output,
> etc. in a file?  I've tried invoking runtime IDL from a DOS window with ">
> foo.bar" but I never get any output in foo.bar although my app starts.  And,
> of course, I can't close or reopen units -1 or -2.

If you take a look at

"Diverting IDL Output" or  "Initialization"

in the online help

Diverting IDL Output:
When using a tty-based interface (UNIX or VMS), IDL sends its output to
the screen for the user to see. When using a GUI based interface (any
platform), the output goes to the log window. The default output
function is automatically installed by IDL at startup. To divert IDL
output to a function of your own design, use IDL_ToutPush() and
IDL_ToutPop() to change the output function called by IDL.
Internally, IDL maintains a stack of output functions, and provides two
functions (IDL_ToutPush() and IDL_ToutPop()) to manage them. The most
recently pushed output function is called to output each line of text.
Output functions of your own design should have the following type
definition:

typedef void (* IDL_TOUT_OUTF)(int flags, char *buf, int n);

Who is able to share IDL_ToutPush() and IDL_ToutPop() functions?

Reimar

--
Reimar Bauer

Institut fuer Stratosphaerische Chemie (ICG-1)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de

a IDL library at ForschungsZentrum Jülich
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html