Re: HOW

When a program is compiled and linked, library files (collections of
supporting routines) can be handled in two ways:

1) Static linking - everything required by the program is included in the
   executable file.

2) Dynamic linking - supporting routines are compiled and stored in a
   separate file.  The executable is told where these routines reside, so
   that they can be loaded and called when required.  Unloaded modules
   just sit idly on disk without using memory.

In Unix, dynamic linking is done using "shared objects", which are typically
denoted with the extension ".so".  Windows does this with .dll files (dynamic
link libraries).

Doug