Re: True Color, but !d.table_size eq 64?

Alex Schuster wrote:
> On our Ultrasparcs, with True Color display, I only get a color table
> with 64 entries. I start IDL, open a window, and !d.table_size is 64,
> not 256, or the value I pass via the colours keyword.
> Any idea why this happens? Under Windows, it's always 256.
>
> About all of my programs only need 8-bit color, so I used to do a
> device, pseudo=8 to switch completele to 8-bit mode, and everything was
> fine. But now I would like to use a true color display and
> non-decomposed colors, but 64 coler cells is not enough. Hey, where's
> the problem, there are plenty of colors, it's a true-color display after
> all!

Alex,

I just tested a Sun Ultra 10 console with Creator3D graphics. Everything
worked the way it should for a 24-bit display. Does your system report
different results? Try this on the system console:

$ uname -a
SunOS xxxx 5.7 Generic_106541-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
$ xdpyinfo | fgrep TrueColor
    class:    TrueColor
    class:    TrueColor
    class:    TrueColor
    class:    TrueColor
    class:    TrueColor
$ idl
IDL Version 5.3 (sunos sparc). (c) 1999, Research Systems, Inc.
Installation number: 95080-2.
Licensed for use by: Dept License

IDL> device, true_color=24
IDL> window, /free
IDL> device, retain=2, decomposed=0
IDL> read_jpeg, filepath('rose.jpg', subdir='examples/data'), rose
IDL> help, rose
ROSE            BYTE      = Array[3, 227, 149]
IDL> tv, rose, true=1
IDL> help, /device
Available Graphics Devices: CGM HP LJ NULL PCL PRINTER PS REGIS TEK X Z
Current graphics device: X
    Server: X11.0, Sun Microsystems, Inc., Release 3610
    Display Depth, Size: 24 bits, (1280,1024)
    Visual Class: TrueColor (4)
    Bits Per RGB: 8
    Physical Color Map Entries (Used / Total): 256 / 256
    Colormap: Private, 16777216 colors.  Translation table: Bypassed
    Graphics pixels: Combined,  Dither Method: Ordered
    Write Mask: 16777215 (decimal) ffffff (hex)
    Graphics Function: 3 (copy)
    Current Font: <default>,    Current TrueType Font: <default>
    Default Backing Store: Pixmap.
    Window Status: ---------------------
    id  typ(    x,  y,   backing store)    id  typ(   x,   y,   backing
store)
    32: Win( 640, 512, Req from Server)
IDL> print, !d.table_size
         256