Re: New to Linux not IDL

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:21:35 -0600, Perry Phillips <p.phillips@mail.utexas.edu>
 wrote:
>We are converting a Windows machine to Linux and would like to add IDL
>to it. RSI list Red Hat Linux 6.2 as the supported operating system.
>However, Red Hat is now only selling Red Hat 7. Does anyone have an idea
>when RSI will start support version 7. They seem to keep up with the Mac
>and Window operating systems. Is it true for Linux 86?
>
>--
>Perry Phillips                p.phillips@mail.utexas.edu

probably best to ask RSI, you may want to ask here (or in Linux ng's)
if anyone has tried it on RH 7.0 , AFAIK, the main changes to RH from
6.2 --> 7.0 are 2.2 --> 2.4 kernel and 3.3.x to 4.0.x XFree. I use IDL
with RH 6.x systems without a problem. my guess is that it would work OK,
if it's a new system, the worst you would have to do is downgrade X. but
no ___guarantees___ !!!

also, you can probably still download RH 6.x from their website or many
mirrors if 7.0 doesn't work out. set-up your system to dual-boot and then
install the demo IDL, you can then work out all the bugs before hand.
--
Steve S.

yubdub
steve@CLOTHESmailaps.org