Re: Clsuter analysis wiht IDL

Hi Dorthe:

   what is the difference between the obsolete IDL procedure "kmeans" and the
new "cluster" ?... In theory, with this procedures we get the same results, but
I tested it with the same input parameters (same image, quantity of clusters,
etc, etc), and we got different results...

   could you please send me the answers to my e-mail to, because I don't read
this newsgroup very often...

   thanks in advance...

Gonzalo Rojas

Dorthe Wildenschild wrote:

> I am trying to use the cluster analysis utility in IDL, and I can't work it
> out. Perhaps due to my lack of knowledge in the statistical field.....
>
> I have a 2D-image (658x658) with a single band of info (CT x-ray
> intentities) that I want to classify (into three classes) using cluster
> analysis. I assume I have to use the CLUST_WTS function first and then the
> CLUSTER function, but I can't work it out.
> The on-line help isn't very helpful on this topic....
>
> If I use
> weights = clust_wts(image, n_clusters=3), with image= intarr(658x658) I get
> alot of floating errors.
> Do I need to reform the image to (658x658,1) before using the clust_wts
> function? Doesn't seem to work either, though. Also how do I get the
> cluster numbers back as an overlay of my image? so that I can actually see
> the result of the classification.
>
> Has anybody worked on cluster analysis using IDL?
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Dorthe
>
> --
> Posted from mail.isva.dtu.dk [192.38.88.3]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
begin:vcard
n:Rojas;Gonzalo
tel;fax:(562) 6333266
tel;home:(562) 2292145
tel;work:(562) 6863276
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Catholic University of Chile;Medicine School, Nuclear Medicine Service
adr:;;Marcoleta 367;Santiago;-;6510260;CHILE
version:2.1
email;internet:grojas@computer.org
fn:Gonzalo Rojas
end:vcard