Strings as variables?

Hello All,

I am writing a "general" HDF extraction subroutine using IDL 5.4 and I
am stuck...

Let me explain:

1. I read from an HDF file the names (strings) representing the
different data arrays found in the given file (this can change from
file to file).

2. I successfully extract the different data arrays found in the file
and assign them to their matching dataset names using the EXECUTE
command.

3. What I want to do next is pass the actual data variables (with
their appropriate name from point 2.)  to another subroutine (I want
to pass the actual variables, not the string containing their names).

Am I missing something big?   Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Bojan