Re: Strings as variables?

"B. R. Bojkov" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am writing a "general" HDF extraction subroutine using IDL 5.4 and I
> am stuck...
>
> Let me explain:
>
> 1. I read from an HDF file the names (strings) representing the
> different data arrays found in the given file (this can change from
> file to file).
>
> 2. I successfully extract the different data arrays found in the file
> and assign them to their matching dataset names using the EXECUTE
> command.
>
> 3. What I want to do next is pass the actual data variables (with
> their appropriate name from point 2.)  to another subroutine (I want
> to pass the actual variables, not the string containing their names).
>
> Am I missing something big?   Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bojan

Hi,

you should use structures.

because then you do not need EXECUTE. x=CREATE_STRUCT(name,data)

If you are using EXECUTE you will never be able to use your
routines in RUNTIME.

I have already a tool to read in the total datasets into a structure.
(ICG-DATA-STRUCTURE). If you are interested please give me a note.

This data structure is explained in my publication:
http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html

regards

Reimar

--
Reimar Bauer

Institut fuer Stratosphaerische Chemie (ICG-1)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/
a IDL library at ForschungsZentrum Jülich
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html