Re: *.cdf files

"Reimar Bauer" <r.bauer@fz-juelich.de> wrote in message
3ABF9CB7.67606E21@fz-juelich.de">news:3ABF9CB7.67606E21@fz-juelich.de...
> Martin Leitner wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> > Does anyone know good literature or good web sides about how to work on
> > cdf  files with IDL?
> > greetings
> > Martin Leitner
>

> Dear Martin,
>
> I have written a publication how we use the cdf format netCDF.

Yes, but netCDF and CDF are not the same thing. They *are* kind of similar
(in that they're binary data formats intended for storing array data) but
there are lots of differences, notably in the way dimensions are handled.

I haven't use CDF for several years, but I imagine the best source of
information is still the WWW site:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cdf/

Warning: One of the reasons I quit using CDF was that on IDL for Windows
there was a nasty (and utterly unnecessary) 64 kB limit on the size of data
retrievals. I think it may still be there.

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research