Re: *.cdf files

In article <985643230.221981@clam-ext>,
 "Mark Hadfield" <m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz> wrote:

>"Reimar Bauer" <r.bauer@fz-juelich.de> wrote in message
>3ABF9CB7.67606E21@fz-juelich.de">news:3ABF9CB7.67606E21@fz-juelich.de...
>> Martin Leitner wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello
>> > Does anyone know good literature or good web sides about how to work on
>> > cdf  files with IDL?
>> > greetings
>> > Martin Leitner
>>

>> Dear Martin,
>>
>> I have written a publication how we use the cdf format netCDF.
>
>Yes, but netCDF and CDF are not the same thing. They *are* kind of similar
>(in that they're binary data formats intended for storing array data) but
>there are lots of differences, notably in the way dimensions are handled.
>
>I haven't use CDF for several years, but I imagine the best source of
>information is still the WWW site:
>
>http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cdf/
>
>Warning: One of the reasons I quit using CDF was that on IDL for Windows
>there was a nasty (and utterly unnecessary) 64 kB limit on the size of data
>retrievals. I think it may still be there.
>
>---
>Mark Hadfield
>m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
>National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

I believe the memory limits on PCs were removed in CDF 2.5.
Also see <http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/spdf/sp_use_of_cdf.html> for pointers to
useful CDF tools, including CDAWlib in IDL.  I'll be glad to answer other
questions as well.

--
Robert.M.Candey@gsfc.nasa.gov           1-301-286-6707 (286-1771 fax)
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Code 632