Re: why is using objects so much slower ?

I think the most important thing to remember is that Objects in IDL is
not the same as Object graphics. I also can say that from the 3
platforms I routinely use IDL on, the HP9000 is the one I dislike the
most. Object graphics are very slow on the terminals, because graphic
accelerators are just not present, and the software rendering is slow. I
did use OG for line plots for one simple reason: too lazy to write DG
substitutes for the existing ROI and ogWindow Pickdata and Select
methods. On a fast personal computer, OG is not much slower that DG.

Pavel