why is using objects so much slower ?

Hi,

because I love object oriented programming, I decided to try the objects in
IDL too.  However, when using the objects to plot some of my stuff, it
turned out to be soooooo sloooow.  Really, I mean a factor of 10 or so, and
I wasn't doing anything funky.  Is this normal behaviour ?  I'm actually
quite disappointed about it that I can not use it this way.  I must add that
IDL on our HP9000 system isn't a speed champion (let alone the awfull
pseudo-coloring : oops, my program ate all my colors), but at least it was
useable.

Greetz,

Henk