[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: R: How to call fortran subroution?
- Subject: Re: R: How to call fortran subroution?
- From: Paul van Delst <paul.vandelst(at)noaa.gov>
- Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:41:22 -0400
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:24515
> Sadly, IDL cannot call directly a fortran subroutine, but it must be
> compiled into a DLL. Then you can use call_external ... the things are
> complicated by the fact that IDL and Fortran require the parameters to be
> passed in different ways: by value and by reference (see my post the
In this particular case (calling fortran from IDL) that may be true, but nowadays most
optimising fortran compilers (f90/95 at least) generate code that can pass arguments
either by value or reference depending on which is more efficient for a particular
Paul van Delst A little learning is a dangerous thing;
CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring;
Ph: (301)763-8000 x7274 There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
Fax:(301)763-8545 And drinking largely sobers us again.
firstname.lastname@example.org Alexander Pope.