Re: R: How to call fortran subroution?

StefanoM wrote:

> Sadly, IDL cannot call directly a fortran subroutine, but it must be
> compiled into a DLL. Then you can use call_external ... the things are
> complicated by the fact that IDL and Fortran require the parameters to be
> passed in different ways: by value and by reference (see my post the
> 10/04/01).

In this particular case (calling fortran from IDL) that may be true, but nowadays most
optimising fortran compilers (f90/95 at least) generate code that can pass arguments
either by value or reference depending on which is more efficient for a particular
situation.

paulv

--
Paul van Delst           A little learning is a dangerous thing;
CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP        Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring;