Re: Postscript font usage

Paul van Delst wrote:

> Barbara A Cohen wrote:
> >
> > I use PS fonts exclusively too, because of the nice aesthetics.
> > It is a big pain to find some of the special symbols but it's
> > worth it (btw how DO you get the sun symbol?)
>
> Wow - I wanted that symbol in a plot recently (got sick of having to use "solar" as a
> subscript for everything). Does it exist in a form IDLers can use? I couldn't find it.

The procedure sunsymbol.pro  in  http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftp/pro/plot/sunsymbol.pro
creates a postscript subscript Sun symbol.    (Try saying "postscript subscript Sun
symbol " 10 times fast ;-) )   However, it is something of a kluge (it draws a circle and
then a dot) and the quality may depend on your particular character thickness and size
settings.

--Wayne Landsman
landsman@mpb.gsfc.nasa.gov

P.S. To answer an earlier question, the procedure ploterror.pro in the same directory can
be used to plot X error bars only, by setting the Y errors to zero, e.g.

iDL> ploterror, x, y, xerr,  y*0