Chopping up a string

I have a question about chopping up a string of numbers into seperate inter variables.

I have a set of 5 numbers in a string seprated by spaces (e.g.string= '0 1 2 3 4'), and i need to
chop them into seperate integer variables (var1=0, var2=1 etc...) I would use the various strmid
commends exept the size of the numbers is not always the same. Sometimes one or more of the numbers
will be 2 or more digits. (e.g. '14 14 256 5 2').

Is there any neat trick to doing this?

Noam Izenberg